COLOMBIA: Heineken to distribute Budweiser
Heineken has struck a deal to handle Budweiser in Colombia.
The Dutch brewing giant said today (9 February) that it would take charge of the import, distribution and marketing rights for Budweiser in the South American country.
Anheuser-Busch launched Budweiser in Colombia last year with an import agreement with local retailer Exito.
The Heineken brand, however, has been present in Colombia for over two decades. Heineken set up a sales office in the country in 2005.
Esteban Amoia, South American marketing manager for Anheuser-Busch's international arm, said Heineken's experience of the Colombian beer market would boost Budweiser's presence.
"Budweiser has exceeded expectations in Colombia since last year's launch," Amoia said. "Heineken has extensive experience and a solid distribution network, which will provide Budweiser with a strong presence in restaurants and bars, as well as in the many family-owned retail outlets."
However, Benjamin Bartley, Heineken's country manager in Colombia, said demand for premium international beers is increasing "steadily". He added: "Our distribution and marketing efforts will strengthen Budweiser's role as a key player in the category."
Neither Heineken nor Anheuser-Busch disclosed figures on the size of the imported beer category in Colombia but just-drinks understands that Budweiser sales are believed to have amounted to 10,000 hectolitres in Colombia last year.
Amoia and Hartley could not be reached for further comment as just-drinks went to press.
Heineken and A-B have teamed up in a number of markets around the world. Heineken brews Budweiser under licence in Panama, Italy and Russia and distributes Bud on the Canary Islands.
SABMiller has added to its Polish subsidiary with a brewery acquisition in the country....
The drinks industry has come under attack in the US for supposedly using energy drinks to mask the effect of alcohol....
SABMiller has announced the retirement of two of its division heads....
Asia Pacific Breweries has announced some changes to its senior management team....
Compania Cervecerias Unidas has posted an impressive leap in operating and net profit in the year so far....
US drinks distributor Silver Eagle Distributors L.P. has acquired all assets of BudCo, the Anheuser-Busch and Grupo Modelo sales, marketing and distribution company for 13 counties in South Texas....
UBS has shifted its coverage of SABMiller....
SABMiller has posted a healthy lift in quarterly sales volumes, despite a flat performance by its US division....
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Will South Africa Raise Drinking Age to 21?
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Roust takes on Bushmills distribution in Russia
- Brown-Forman completes Kentucky acquisition
- Campari opens office in Canada
- Coca-Cola, A-B InBev express FIFA concerns
- A-B InBev cuts ribbon on Vietnam brewery
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review