EGYPT: Heineken suspends operations due to unrest
Heineken suspends operations in Egypt
Heineken has suspended beer and soft drinks operations in Egypt due to widespread political protests against the country's president, Hosni Mubarak.
Heineken confirmed to just-drinks today (31 January) that it has temporarily closed its six facilities in Egypt, including two breweries, two soft drinks plants, a maltings and a winery. The brewer last night flew ex-patriot exployees out of the country amid escalating tension between protesters and security forces.
Mass protests against the Government have taken place in Egypt over the last week and these are set to continue amid signs that President Mubarak's resistance to political reform has weakened.
"To date, there has been no unrest at our facilities," said the Heineken spokesperson. The group employs 2,400 people in Egypt, but the country only accounts for 1.2m hectolitres of the group's global annual volumes of around 165m hectoltres.
"The impact in financial terms is going to be minimal, but, because of the number of employees, we have significant operations there," said the spokesperson. Heineken has told its employees in the country to stay at home for their own safety.
The US arm of Heineken is preparing the next advert in its 'Be a Man of the World' campaign for Heineken Light....
Castel Group's African beer business, Brasseries & Glacieres Internationales, has reportedly formed a joint-venture with Raya Brewery in Ethiopia....
Heineken UK has said that Foster's will again sponsor the Edinburgh Comedy Awards this year....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends