INDIA: Heineken silent on UB Group deal
United Breweries, in which Heineken claims a 37.5% stake following its takeover with Carlsberg of Scottish & Newcastle last year, will bottle distribute Heineken brands in India, the country's Economic Times newspaper today (12 May).
UB Group will also get a payment of INR3bn (US$60.5m) from Heineken in order to settle a dispute over Heineken's assumption of the Scottish & Newcastle stake, the paper said.
A Heineken spokesperson confirmed to just-drinks that the two brewers are in talks, but said: "At this point in time there is nothing to report." He added that the Netherlands-based brewer does not comment on market speculation.
United Breweries, which forms part of Indian billionaire Vijay Mallya's UB Group empire, is the leading brewer in India with market share of just over 40%. Its main brand is Kingfisher.
SABMiller is India's second largest brewer, with a market share of around 38.5%.
Heineken already operates in India via its joint venture with Fraser & Neave, Asia Pacific Breweries.
Sectors: Beer & cider
The spirits industry, like other industries, has been hit by the current global economic crisis. Euromonitor International's latest global briefing, 'Global Opportunities for Leading Spirits Players d...
Dutch brewer Heineken raised its full-year forecast for operating profits on Wednesday (28 October), giving an indication that the embattled beer market is starting to stabilise. Michelle Russell look...
Scottish & Newcastle UK has developed a pint glass carrying alcohol unit information for its Foster's lager brand....
Cobra Beer founder Lord Bilimoria is seeking finance to expand the beer brand in India, five months after Molson Coors stepped in to rescue Cobra's UK division from collapse....
Here you can find the top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
Heineken has swooped to acquire Globe Pub Company in the UK, in order to prevent the group's financial collapse and protect a long-term beer supply deal....
Heineken has raised its full-year profits target following what it calls "the positive development" of its third quarter....
United Breweries and United Spirits, both part of The UB Group empire in India, have posted their latest quarterly and half-year results....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- How craft beer has shattered its US shackles
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- New CEO sparks optimism at Coca-Cola - Analysis
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- BrewDog moves into spirits with LoneWolf launch
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Johnnie Walker Bourbon Cask & Rye Finish - NPD
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report