SERBIA: Heineken silent on Pivara acquisition talk
Heineken has declined to comment on speculation that it is looking to buy the Serbian brewery Pivara MB.
Local reports this week cited an unnamed spokesperson for Pivara as saying that MB was only "a step away" from being bought by Heineken.
When contacted by just-drinks today (6 November), however, Heineken would not be drawn on the claims. "We never comment on market speculation," a spokesperson for the Dutch brewer said.
The spokesperson confirmed that Heineken does not currently own any breweries in Serbia.
The north Serbia-based brewery has an annual capacity of 5m hectolitres of beer - equal to the total beer consumption in Serbia, which boasts a population of around 7.5m.
Last year, Slovenia's largest brewer Pivovarna Lasko was reportedly also showing an interest in a tie-up with the Serbian beer maker, although nothing has yet come of the speculation.
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Compañía Cervecerías Unidas has posted a healthy set of results for the first three months of 2008....
Heineken has begun a shake-up of its senior management following the closure of its joint purchase of Scottish & Newcastle....
Carlsberg and Heineken have completed their purchase of Scottish & Newcastle....
Heineken has said that it hopes to resolve the ongoing issues with its Indian assets "as soon as possible"....
Scottish & Newcastle is set to cease to exist at the end of this week....
Kronenbourg has said that it is looking to re-conquer the ailing French beer market by increasing its share in the country's HORECA sector....
Asia Pacific Breweries has confirmed it is looking to increase its presence in India, both through organic growth and acquisitions....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research