RUSSIA: Heineken sells Stepan Razin distribution centre
Heineken said St Petersburg and Russia's north-west remain important regions
Heineken has sold one of its former brewery sites, turned distribution centre, in Russia for an undisclosed sum.
The 7.4-hectare Stepan Razin site, in St Petersburg, saw production cease in 2009. Since then it has been used as a distribution centre.
The site has been sold to Stepan Razin Development, which plans to rent out some of the property as office space, Heineken confirmed to just-drinks yesterday (9 April).
Anna Meleshina, Heinekens's corporate relations director for Russia, said St Petersburg and Russia northwest region remained “important markets” for the group. She added: “The decrease in costs allows us to increase our competitiveness and maintain a leading position in the region, and also enables growth in the profitability of the business.”
Russia has been a challenging region for brewers to operate in of late. New laws banning the sale of beer from street kioks and print media advertising of alcohol were introduced earlier this year, on top of hefty duty hikes in the last two years.
Earlier this week, analysts at UBS released their latest 'Beeronomics' research note, looking at the global beer landscape. Here, courtesy of UBS, is a breakdown of the top 25 beer markets around the ...
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research