UK: Heineken sees UK ad complaints upheld
The UK arm of Heineken has been admonished by the country's Advertising Standards Authority for a television advert that ran earlier this year.
In a ruling handed down today (17 July), the ASA upheld complaints from 17 viewers that claimed the ad was irresponsible because it “condoned or encouraged people to take glass bottles into a football stadium”.
The ad, which can be viewed above, formed part of Heineken's sponsorship of the Europe-wide Champion's League soccer tournament. The final was held in London in May.
In its defence, Heineken maintained that “the scenario which they had set up afforded some creative licence in-line with the overall improbable nature of the story line. This extended to both the implied consumption of alcohol in sight of the pitch and the use of glass bottles”, the ASA said.
Heineken has been instructed not to broadcast the ad again “in its current form”.
To read the full ruling, click here.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read interviews on just-drinks in 2013....
Heineken, the world’s third largest brewer and leading cider producer, continued its aggressive acquisitive expansion in 2012 with the purchase of Asia Pacific Breweries. This profile considers the ex...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
Heineken do Brasil Comercial’s strategic direction became more aggressive in 2012. The company invested in new product launches and marketing and advertising campaigns to attract the attention of cons...
This is the first in a new series of short reports from just-drinks. These profiles will bring together all of just-drinks' coverage of a major development involving some of the leading players in the...
Heineken is making efforts to improve its business in the key US market and support sluggish consumption through product innovation, including Indio in June 2012 and Amstel Wheat and Tecate Michelada ...
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- just the Ten - Top News Stories of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018