News alert: Heineken says licence agreement with Whitbread remains after Interbrew deal
Heineken will keep its licence agreement with UK brewer Whitbread, once it has been sold to Belgian brewer Interbrew, the company said in a statement.As just-drinks reported earlier in the week, Interbrew is the likely buyer for UK brewer Whitbread and is estimated to pay between £350m and £400m. No formal announcement has been made by the producer of Stella Artois but Heineken's statement does seem to pre-empt the deal. Heineken said: "Within the framework of the sale of the brewing division of Whitbread, Heineken's license partner in the UK, it has been agreed that Whitbread will comply with the current license agreement with Heineken. To this end Whitbread will retain the production, marketing and sales people and the necessary production capacity.Whitbread, Interbrew and Heineken have discussed the sale in advance of today's announcement and will continue to co-operate in the best interests of the customers and brands."Neither Whitbread or Interbrew were available for comment.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research