News alert: Heineken says licence agreement with Whitbread remains after Interbrew deal
Heineken will keep its licence agreement with UK brewer Whitbread, once it has been sold to Belgian brewer Interbrew, the company said in a statement.As just-drinks reported earlier in the week, Interbrew is the likely buyer for UK brewer Whitbread and is estimated to pay between £350m and £400m. No formal announcement has been made by the producer of Stella Artois but Heineken's statement does seem to pre-empt the deal. Heineken said: "Within the framework of the sale of the brewing division of Whitbread, Heineken's license partner in the UK, it has been agreed that Whitbread will comply with the current license agreement with Heineken. To this end Whitbread will retain the production, marketing and sales people and the necessary production capacity.Whitbread, Interbrew and Heineken have discussed the sale in advance of today's announcement and will continue to co-operate in the best interests of the customers and brands."Neither Whitbread or Interbrew were available for comment.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Winners & losers of AB InBev's SABMiller takeover
- Can Bacardi take its rum back to the party?
- ABInBev on the verge of SABMiller buy? - Comment
- What Trans-Pacific Partnership means for drinks
- How big is MegaBrew? ABI/SAB market share, brands
- Anheuser-Busch InBev wins SABMiller's hand
- A-B InBev raises SABMiller offer to GBP70.5bn
- Carlsberg UK chief James Lousada quits
- Ketel One co-owner now Bols' largest shareholder
- Beam Suntory CMO to stand down
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report