VIETNAM: Heineken, SABMiller silent on Sabeco stake reports
Rumours of a major brewer taking a stake in Sabeco have re-emerged
The country's Ministry of Planning and Investment is considering “proposals” from the two brewers – and Asahi – according to newspaper Dau Tu today (23 November). Talk of Ho Chi Minh City-based Sabeco seeking foreign investment emerged around five years ago, with Anheuser-Busch InBev and ThaiBev also linked to the group at the time.
Heineken has its own brewery in Ho Chi Minh City and is also set to boost its exposure in the region, having last week completed its deal to take full control of Asia Pacific Breweries.
Vietnam, with a population of 90.2m, is currently the second-largest market by volume for the Dutch brewer's flagship lager brand.
On the latest Sabeco reports, a Heineken spokesperson said it is company policy “not to comment on rumours and speculation in the market”.
SABMiller also has a brewery in Vietnam, in Binh Duong. The brewer first entered the Vietnamese market in 2006, through a JV with dairy group Vinamilk, but bought out the group in March 2009. A company spokesperson also declined to comment on the Sabeco speculation.
Asahi was separately linked to a possible stake buy in Sabeco in 2010, but no deal materialised. The company was unavailable for comment.
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research