UPDATE: DENMARK: Heineken, Royal Unibrew extend Danish link-up
Heineken is heralding the move from exporting its beer to Denmark to brewing under license as an optimistic signal for sales in the country.
The Dutch company confirmed today (13 April) that it will use Royal Unibrew to brew, market and sell Heineken in Denmark. The earlier agreement between the two had covered just the marketing and sales of Heineken.
Speaking to just-drinks, a spokesperson for Heineken said: "Up until now, we had an import strategy in this country which, in this case, when you achieve sufficient volumes, it was decided to extend the agreement.
"We're looking forward to further expanding the Heineken brand in Denmark."
When asked where this sat in the strategy of exporting to markets like the US and the UK, the spokesperson noted: "These decisions vary from country to country."
While Royal Unibrew accounts for 25% of the premium segment of the Danish beer market, the Heineken brand holds a 1-1.5 % market share. Earlier today, a spokesperson for Royal Unibrew told just-drinks: "Heineken has quite a unique leading position as an international brand in Denmark."
The Heineken spokesperson declined to give volume targets for the beer in Denmark going forward.
Two of the four banks suing Asia Pacific Breweries have dropped their lawsuits against the brewer....
Brau Union has turned its Gasteiner mineral water unit into a joint venture....
Heineken, an official sponsor of this year's Rugby World Cup, is to appeal a ruling forcing it to withdraw its associated publicity campaign from local newspapers and magazines....
Heineken and two other brewers have been sued for alleged price fixing by an industry group representing Dutch bars....
Heineken's Zagorka brewery plans to increase its production capacity as part of its investment programme....
Asia Pacific Breweries fate is being decided due to four banks claiming the company owes them money after a former employee used funds for gambling....
The United Breweries Group has declared it will not buy Mohan Meakin at its current price, according to reports....
SABMiller has posted a healthy lift in beer volumes for the five months to the end of August....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future