DENMARK: Heineken, Royal Unibrew extend Danish link-up
The Dutch company confirmed today (13 April) that it will use Royal Unibrew to brew, market and sell Heineken in Denmark. The earlier agreement between the two covered just the marketing and sales of Heineken.
"I am very pleased that with this license agreement we now have the opportunity to further expand the already proven and successful sales and marketing agreement with Heineken in Denmark," said Poul Møller, CEO at Royal Unibrew. "By bringing the first locally brewed Heineken lager on the Danish market, we will increase our earnings and competitive edge by better utilising capacity and logistics for further growth. The license agreement will also strengthen the position and growth potential for Royal Unibrew's own national and regional premium beer brands such as the very successful Royal Beer series."
Speaking to just-drinks today, a spokesperson for Royal Unibrew said: "The agreement between the two companies since the second half of 2002 has been very successful - there is mutual agreement on this.
"Heineken has quite a unique leading position as an international brand in Denmark," the spokesperson added.
While Royal Unibrew accounts for 25% of the premium segment of the Danish beer market, the Heineken brand holds a 1-1.5 % market share.
Royal Unibrew is the second largest brewery group and largest beer exporter in Scandinavia.
Two of the four banks suing Asia Pacific Breweries have dropped their lawsuits against the brewer....
Brau Union has turned its Gasteiner mineral water unit into a joint venture....
Heineken, an official sponsor of this year's Rugby World Cup, is to appeal a ruling forcing it to withdraw its associated publicity campaign from local newspapers and magazines....
Heineken and two other brewers have been sued for alleged price fixing by an industry group representing Dutch bars....
Heineken's Zagorka brewery plans to increase its production capacity as part of its investment programme....
Asia Pacific Breweries fate is being decided due to four banks claiming the company owes them money after a former employee used funds for gambling....
The United Breweries Group has declared it will not buy Mohan Meakin at its current price, according to reports....
SABMiller has posted a healthy lift in beer volumes for the five months to the end of August....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review