FINLAND: Heineken refutes Hartwall sale report
Heineken launched a review of Hartwall in February
Heineken has denied it is ready to offload its Finnish unit Hartwall after a report claimed it has launched a sale.
A spokesperson for the Dutch brewer told just-drinks today (12 April) the company is still considering its options over Hartwall, which was put under a “strategic review” in February.
The spokesperson said: “It is not a burning platform so it is a question of what is the right thing going forward. When we have a clear idea of the situation then we will make an announcement.”
Reuters today cited three unnamed sources as saying Heineken has sent information to potential buyers and asked for “indicative bids” in late April. It said the Helsinki-based brewery could fetch up to EUR500m (US$652.3m) from private equity firms.
Asked if the Reuters report was inaccurate, the Heineken spokesperson said: “It looks as though someone is just looking at one option rather than thinking in multiple options.”
The spokesperson added that Heineken's position on Hartwall has not changed since February and that he did not know when the review will conclude.
“We are not in a different place to where we were when we made our statement a couple of months ago,” the spokesperson said.
Heineken initially dismissed reports it was looking to sell Hartwall, saying on 4 February it wouldn't respond to “rumour and speculation”. Later the same day, it confirmed the strategic review and said is was considering Hartwall's future “within or outside” of Heineken.
Earlier this week, analysts at UBS released their latest 'Beeronomics' research note, looking at the global beer landscape. Here, courtesy of UBS, is a breakdown of the top 25 beer markets around the ...
Beer in the Netherlands industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The p...
Heineken, the world’s third largest brewer and leading cider producer, continued its aggressive acquisitive expansion in 2012 with the purchase of Asia Pacific Breweries. This profile considers the ex...
Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles o...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report