INDIA: Heineken raises United Breweries holding
Heineken is now the major shareholder in United Breweries
Reports out of India earlier this week claimed that the Amsterdam-headquartered brewer, which held a 37.4% holding in United Breweries, has bought a further 1.3% stake. The transaction cost Heineken in the region of INR2.8bn (US$46m), the reports said.
When contacted by just-drinks today (11 December), a spokesperson for Heineken confirmed that the transaction had been completed. The brewer, which inherited the United Breweries interest when it teamed with Carlsberg to buy Scottish & Newcastle in 2008, now owns 38.7% of the Indian firm.
“These shares were offered to us by Citi Bank,” the spokesperson for Heineken said. “As a long-term partner in United Breweries (UBL), it made sense for us to buy them.
“We believe in the Indian beer market and UBL’s long-term future,” the spokesperson added, before declining to comment further on Heineken's future intentions regarding United Breweries' ownership.
“This is a relatively small movement that does not materially change the ownership structure,” the spokesperson concluded. “It is very much business as usual for all parties.”
The purchase makes Heineken United Breweries' largest stakeholder, overtaking Vijay Mallya, the chairman of The UB Group, who owns 37.4% through a range of investment vehicles.
Beer - BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China) Industry Guide
The BRIC Beer industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, retail market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The prof...read more
Mergers and acquisitions have to varying degrees been important in shaping the different alcoholic drinks categories....
Heineken N.V. - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and...
Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
Carlsberg today launched a new campaign for its Tuborg beer as it targets 18- to 22-year-olds, particularly in Eastern Europe. Here's just-drinks takes a look at the lager brand and its position in th...
India’s largest spirits producer, UB Group’s United Spirits, came under the control of global leader, Diageo, in 2013. The profile analyses the most promising ways forward for United Spirits’ strong d...
Synopsis Canadean's "Heineken USA Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a com...
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Comment - Diageo Making the Best of a Bad Job?
- Comment - IPO Launch a Tonic for Fever-Tree
- How Modern Marketing Compounds My Twitter Shame
- NPD - Moët Hennessy’s Glenmorangie Dornoch
- Anheuser-Busch InBev cuts jobs in US shake-up
- Pernod blames rule changes for Plymouth GI drop
- William Grant unveils bespoke Glenfiddich website
- Diageo targets Millenial women with Baileys push
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Beer Opportunities: Beyond Standard Lager
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research