MYANMAR: Heineken plans US$60m brewery with JV deal
The brewery is expected open next year
Heineken is to build a US$60m brewery in Myanmar as part of a new joint-venture in the country.
The 1m-hectolitre-a-year plant, near capital Yangon, is expected to open at the end of next year, the Dutch brewer said today (13 May). It will create 400 jobs and brew “leading brands, including Heineken”, Heineken said.
The brewery is part of a new JV Heineken announced today with Myanmar group Alliance Brewery Company. The deal, which brings Heineken back to Myanmar after a 17-year absence, will see Heineken subsidiary Asia Pacific Breweries take on 57% of the new venture, called APB Alliance Brewery Company.
“This is a truly exciting business opportunity that expands further our exposure to high growth markets,” Heineken CEO Jean-François van Boxmeer said.
Beverage firms have targeted the Myanmar market in the past year as governments loosen sanctions in the wake of political reform. In February, Carlsberg signed a JV with Myanmar Golden Star, and last year The Coca-Cola Co and Pepsico announced returns to the country.
Heineken do Brasil Comercial’s strategic direction became more aggressive in 2012. The company invested in new product launches and marketing and advertising campaigns to attract the attention of cons...
This is the first in a new series of short reports from just-drinks. These profiles will bring together all of just-drinks' coverage of a major development involving some of the leading players in the...
Comprising of textual analysis and data tables, this in-depth and exclusive country report from Canadean provides a comprehensive view of the cider industry structure including analysis and profiles o...
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research