US: Heineken on top with volumes rise - figures
Heineken also saw its price/mix fall
Heineken's beer volumes in US supermarkets outpaced the rest of the category in the four weeks over Christmas, according to latest industry figures.
The Dutch brewer's brands increased off-trade volumes by 5.7% in the four weeks to 19 January compared to a year prior, according to AC Nielsen figures quoted by analysts Nomura yesterday (31 January). Nielsen figures only cover supermarket sales, around 20% of US beer sales.
US beer industry volumes climbed by 2.2%, driven by Christmas sales and a weak previous month, Nomura said.
Heineken's growth may have benefited from a price/mix decrease compared to a “robust” industry price/mix growth of 3%, the analysts said.
Anheuser-Busch InBev lagged the US beer sector in both supermarket volumes (+1.3%) and price/mix (+2.4%) over the same four-week period, according to the figures. MillerCoors also underperformed, with volumes dropping by 0.8% and price/mix increasing by 2%.
Craft beer labels continued to grow volumes, Nomura said. Sierra Nevada increased volumes by 14.3% and price/mix by 1.1%, according to the Nielsen figures.
Heineken's Mexican label Dos Equis Especial also performed well in the four-week period, with volumes up by 17.6% and sales up by 18.8% compared to a year prior.
MillerCoors Italian beer Peroni Nastro Azzurro posted an 11.7% jump in volumes and an 14.6% rise in sales, according to the figures.
A report in December said that, in the first nine months of last year, craft beer took market share from A-B InBev, MillersCoors and Heineken.
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- US craft spirits could be as big as craft beer
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends