PANAMA: Heineken makes $56m bid for Baru
Heineken has made the bid for total control of the company in collaboration with its Central American partner, Florida Ice and Farm Co (FIFCO). If successful, Heineken would end up with 75% of Baru while FIFCO would own the remaining 25%. Heineken said it would be financing the deal with cash and expected Baru to make a contribution to group net profit after the first two years.
Baru is currently 52%-owned by Coca-Cola Panama (CCP), with the remaining 48% traded on the Panamanian Stock Exchange. To effect the acquisition, Heineken and FIFCO have joined forces with Panamco, the largest soft drinks bottler in Latin America, to form a company called CA Beverages, Heineken announced. The deal will also see the acquisition of CCP by Panamco. Heineken said that CA Beverages already had direct control of CCP and indirect control of Baru through the purchase of 3.9m new issued shares in CCP and said that the boards of both CCP and Baru fully supported the bid.
"Heineken believes that, in conjuction with FIFCO, the current market position of Baru can be improved considerably, with a corresponding increase in profitability," the company said. Baru currently controls around 25% of the Panamanian beer market, with sales of $26m in 2001. Earlier this year, Baru was the subject of a takeover bid by the Colombian brewing group, Bavaria, but this deal was subsequently blocked by Panamanian regulatory authorities. Bavaria already owns the country's leading brewer, Cerveceria Nacional.
But drinks analyst with WestLB Panmure Stuart Price called the deal "expensive" compared to similar acquisitions.
"Though the deal has marginal impact on Heineken's P&L and over-capitalisation, we believe that the true significance of the deal is its message to SABMiller. After all, the expectation was that SABMiller's investment was the first step in its gradual monopolisation of the sector. With Ambev's formation of an alliance with the Pepsi bottler Cabcorp (in Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador and Honduras), which involves the building of a new brewery in Guatemala, SABMiller is not getting its own way," he said in a note today.
The move for Baru marks the latest phase in a rapid acquisition drive by Heineken. Only last week, the company completed the purchase of Egypt's largest drinks business, Al Ahram Beverages, which followed the acquisition of a controlling stake in the Lebanese brewer, Almaza.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Following its recent re-launch in the UK, SABMiller has introduced its Italian lager brand Peroni Nastro Azzurro to the Romanian market....
Heineken said yesterday that its Austrian subsidiary Brau Union AG has signed an agreement for the divestment of its Real Estate Division. This division comprises all non-business related real estate ...
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
Heineken Espana is looking to invest heavily in a new plant in southern Spain....
Carlsberg cannot compete with some of the larger global brewers when it comes to earnings, according to the Danish company's CEO....
Grupo Empresarial Bavaria is not looking to sell up, its president has confirmed....
The chief financial officer of Brau Union has resigned....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report