SPAIN: Heineken links workers' bonus pay to green objectives
Heineken has launched a three-year sustainability campaign in Spain to improve its environmental and sustainability credentials in the country.
As part of the push, which forms a branch of the group's global 'Brewing a Better Future' sustainability plan, the Netherlands-based brewer will go so far as to link workers' annual bonuses to the fulfilment of certain targets, a company spokesman told just-drinks last week.
The plan will affect most of Heineken's 2,000 Spanish workers, who will be charged with improving energy efficiency in production and distribution activities, saving water and cutting factories and offices' CO2 footprint. There will also be initiatives to cut garbage and residue levels, while there will also be marketing campaigns to foster beer-bottle recycling and more eco-friendly packaging across Spain.
“If you are a factory worker tasked with reducing water consumption by 20%, energy by 20% and residues by 3%, you could get 100% of the part of your bonus linked to the sustainability objectives," the spokesperson said. "What's different now is that people's variable pay is no longer linked just to financial objectives."
This month, we have decided to run The Wehring Interview over two instalments. After all, having waited so long to speak to Heineken's CEO, I have a lot of questions for him. Luckily, I've been grante...
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research