SPAIN: Heineken links workers' bonus pay to green objectives
Heineken has launched a three-year sustainability campaign in Spain to improve its environmental and sustainability credentials in the country.
As part of the push, which forms a branch of the group's global 'Brewing a Better Future' sustainability plan, the Netherlands-based brewer will go so far as to link workers' annual bonuses to the fulfilment of certain targets, a company spokesman told just-drinks last week.
The plan will affect most of Heineken's 2,000 Spanish workers, who will be charged with improving energy efficiency in production and distribution activities, saving water and cutting factories and offices' CO2 footprint. There will also be initiatives to cut garbage and residue levels, while there will also be marketing campaigns to foster beer-bottle recycling and more eco-friendly packaging across Spain.
“If you are a factory worker tasked with reducing water consumption by 20%, energy by 20% and residues by 3%, you could get 100% of the part of your bonus linked to the sustainability objectives," the spokesperson said. "What's different now is that people's variable pay is no longer linked just to financial objectives."
This month, we have decided to run The Wehring Interview over two instalments. After all, having waited so long to speak to Heineken's CEO, I have a lot of questions for him. Luckily, I've been grante...
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Coca-Cola pressure builds as bid rumours swirl
- Diageo confirms Australia RTD abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Pernod takes Absolut Warhol push to Travel Retail
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014