US: Heineken lines up US launch for Desperados
Desperados will enter five US states
Heineken has confirmed it is to launch its Tequila-flavoured Desperados beer in the US as it seeks to steal share from wine and spirits.
The move, first revealed by just-drinks last month, will see Desperados go head to head against Anheuser-Busch InBev's Lime-a-Rita cocktail beer range for the first time. Desperados will initially launch this month in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and North Carolina, Heineken said today (25 April).
The brand is market leader in Europe in the “spirit-beer” sub-category.
Heineken USA's VP for innovation, Monique Acevedo, said: “Desperados is poised to expand the beer category as it has the potential to source 55% of its consumption from outside beer.”
Desperados' US launch will be supported by TV, out-of-home and digital advertising as well as sampling and brand experience programs at retail and on-premise, Heineken said.
To read a comment on the growing spirit-beer and “near-beer” categories in the US and Europe, click here.
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report