US: Heineken lines up US launch for Desperados
Desperados will enter five US states
Heineken has confirmed it is to launch its Tequila-flavoured Desperados beer in the US as it seeks to steal share from wine and spirits.
The move, first revealed by just-drinks last month, will see Desperados go head to head against Anheuser-Busch InBev's Lime-a-Rita cocktail beer range for the first time. Desperados will initially launch this month in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee and North Carolina, Heineken said today (25 April).
The brand is market leader in Europe in the “spirit-beer” sub-category.
Heineken USA's VP for innovation, Monique Acevedo, said: “Desperados is poised to expand the beer category as it has the potential to source 55% of its consumption from outside beer.”
Desperados' US launch will be supported by TV, out-of-home and digital advertising as well as sampling and brand experience programs at retail and on-premise, Heineken said.
To read a comment on the growing spirit-beer and “near-beer” categories in the US and Europe, click here.
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Focus - Diageo's H1 Results by Region, Brand
- Comment - Spirits - Where Next for Scotch Whisky?
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- US spirits pricing went "a little high" - Diageo
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Carlsberg freezes Russia salaries, new hires
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research