FINLAND: Heineken lines up Hartwall sale to Royal Unibrew
Heineken had put Hartwall under review
The Dutch brewer, which in April denied it was ready to offload the Finnish unit, said today (11 July) the sale is in Hartwall's best interests. Hartwall will continue to distribute Heineken brands in Finland and brew Foster's beer under licence in the country.
“We are convinced that Hartwall's future development is best served as part of Royal Unibrew,” Heineken CEO Jean-François van Boxmeer said. “We look forward to building on our business in the region working together with Royal Unibrew.”
Henrik Brandt, CEO of Royal Unibrew, said: “We really value Hartwall's market position, strong brands and considerable innovation, and the acquisition of Hartwall supports Royal Unibrew's strategy very well.”
Heineken has signed a "binding agreement" with Royal Unibrew and the deal, which is subject to approval from anti-trust authorities, should close in the fourth quarter, the brewer said.
Hartwall also distributes PepsiCo brands in Finland, a deal that Royal Unibrew said will be "fortified" because it holds a licence for PepsiCo products in Denmark.
Heineken put Hartwall under a strategic review in February after media reports claimed the unit was in line for a sale.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read interviews on just-drinks in 2013....
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
Heineken has launched a new global responsible drinking campaign aimed at drawing younger consumers' attention to moderate alcohol consumption....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts