FINLAND: Heineken lines up Hartwall sale to Royal Unibrew
Heineken had put Hartwall under review
The Dutch brewer, which in April denied it was ready to offload the Finnish unit, said today (11 July) the sale is in Hartwall's best interests. Hartwall will continue to distribute Heineken brands in Finland and brew Foster's beer under licence in the country.
“We are convinced that Hartwall's future development is best served as part of Royal Unibrew,” Heineken CEO Jean-François van Boxmeer said. “We look forward to building on our business in the region working together with Royal Unibrew.”
Henrik Brandt, CEO of Royal Unibrew, said: “We really value Hartwall's market position, strong brands and considerable innovation, and the acquisition of Hartwall supports Royal Unibrew's strategy very well.”
Heineken has signed a "binding agreement" with Royal Unibrew and the deal, which is subject to approval from anti-trust authorities, should close in the fourth quarter, the brewer said.
Hartwall also distributes PepsiCo brands in Finland, a deal that Royal Unibrew said will be "fortified" because it holds a licence for PepsiCo products in Denmark.
Heineken put Hartwall under a strategic review in February after media reports claimed the unit was in line for a sale.
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read interviews on just-drinks in 2013....
The strategic goals for Royal Unibrew are to maintain a high level of new product innovation, while at the same time develop its brand platform. The company also focuses on increasing customer loyalty...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read Hot Topics on just-drinks in 2013....
Heineken is making efforts to improve its business in the key US market and support sluggish consumption through product innovation, including Indio in June 2012 and Amstel Wheat and Tecate Michelada ...
Heineken, the world’s third largest brewer and leading cider producer, continued its aggressive acquisitive expansion in 2012 with the purchase of Asia Pacific Breweries. This profile considers the ex...
Heineken do Brasil Comercial’s strategic direction became more aggressive in 2012. The company invested in new product launches and marketing and advertising campaigns to attract the attention of cons...
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review