HOLLAND: Heineken fends off investor criticism
Heineken has shrugged off investor criticism that it has missed out on recent takeover targets due to its ownership structure.
The Dutch brewing giant was responding to comments from a shareholder rights group that it would put pressure on Heineken to unwind its ownership structure.
"We have never missed out on an acquisition because of the structure," a Heineken spokesperson told just-drinks today (28 March). Members of the Heineken family hold a controlling stake in Heineken Holding, which in turn owns just over 50% in Heineken NV.
The spokesperson added: "We have done many acquisitions - just because we didn't do the Bavaria acquisition for instance, is nothing to do with the share structure. It's to do with value and what you pay for it."
The disgruntled shareholder rights group, named VEB, said the structure limited Heineken's ability to compete with fellow multinational brewers.
"The structure has a strangling effect on the company. This is the right time to do something about it," VEB director Peter Paul de Vries told the Financial Times yesterday.
The Heineken spokesperson said VEB would be able to raise its concerns at the company's AGM in April.
Heineken is taking on rival Stella Artois head-to-head in 2005 with a campaign inviting drinkers to taste the difference between the two lagers....
Dutch brewer Heineken is rumored to have released a self-chilling beer can....
ING has raised its target for Heineken's share price after analysing the brewer's options to save costs....
Heineken's CEO-in-waiting has no plan to radically alter the brewer's strategy, he said in an interview today....
Heineken has restructured its top management, in a move that includes the retirement of current CEO and chairman Thony Ruys from October this year....
Heineken said yesterday that its Austrian subsidiary Brau Union AG has signed an agreement for the divestment of its Real Estate Division. This division comprises all non-business related real estate ...
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
Heineken Espana is looking to invest heavily in a new plant in southern Spain....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- English Gin Breaks Away From its Core Markets
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Wine in the United Kingdom