NETHERLANDS: Heineken, Efes complete Serbia JV
Heineken has completed a joint-venture deal with Efes Breweries International to supply the growing Serbian beer market.
Both brewers announced this week that they had officially created Central Europe Beverages, to operate in Serbia.
Heineken will take a 72% share in the Netherlands-based venture, leaving Efes with 28%, the firms said. The brewers have also agreed to merge operations in Kazakhstan, which will result in the same split in ownership.
Financial details of the deals have not been disclosed.
Serbia is part of a new wave of emerging beer markets in Eastern Europe. Heineken said this week that volumes of its namesake brand in Serbia, Slovakia, Bulgaria and Romania had all risen by 20% or more for the first half of 2008.
Value growth was driven by the more established regional markets of Russia, Greece and Romania, however.
The brewer's volumes across Central and Eastern Europe increased 12% to 25m hectolitres during the six months, while revenue rose 14% to EUR1.76bn (US$2.6bn).
Both Heineken and Carlsberg this week said that they would focus on cost savings in 2009, as international beer markets struggle in the face the economic downturn. Michelle Russell looks at how both b...
Heineken has said it has successfully placed 6-year Sterling Notes for a principal amount of GBP400m with a coupon of 7.25%....
Diageo plans to expand Windhoek beer across Africa after acquiring the global rights to produce and distribute the brand outside of its key South African and Namibian markets....
Anheuser-Busch Inbev subsidiary Pivovary Staropramen has dismissed reports that it is to be sold as "mere speculation"....
The UK alcoholic drinks sector is braced for up to 80,000 job cuts and falling sales over the next four years, a new report has warned, as industry leaders ratchet up the pressure on the government's ...
Heineken US has launched an Hispanic campaign as an extension of its 'Give Yourself a Good Name' promotion....
Heineken subsidiary Scottish & Newcastle UK allowed volumes of Foster's beer to slide in 2008 because the group refused to take part in deep discounting on lager brands by multiple retailers, just-dri...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends