RUSSIA: Heineken cuts 500 jobs, aims for 20% share
Heineken today (5 July) revealed that it recently cut 500 jobs from its operations in Russia as a result of the integration of four breweries it acquired there last year.
A bullish Heineken praised the integration of the four sites - Patra, Stepan Razin, Baikal and Ivan Taranov - and said that volumes will be up this year on an organic basis.
The Dutch brewing giant said that the integration of four Russian breweries it bought last year was "developing excellently" and that volumes would hit 13m hectolitres this year. On a like-for-like basis - including contributions of the acquired breweries - Heineken's volumes in Russia would have reached 12m hl last year.
Heineken, Russia's third-largest brewer behind SUN Interbrew and market leader Baltic Beverages Holding, said it was targeting a market share of 20% in "five to six years" through organic volume growth.
Heineken officials could not be reached for comment as just-drinks went to press.
As managing director of SABMiller's European division. Alan Clark has a diverse group of markets in his charge, including Russia, Italy, the Canary Islands and Romania. In the second part of this mont...
This month's just-drinks interview is a double-header, featuring two prominent executives from major international brewing groups operating in Europe. First, Olly Wehring discusses the challenges faci...
Baltic Beverages Holding has made its first direct investment into Belarus with the purchase of a 30% stake in local beer maker Olivaria Brewery....
Heineken has bought into a Tunisian drinks group to bolster its presence in the north African country....
Anheuser-Busch will decide whether to enter India "probably within three months", the head of the US brewing giant's international operations told just-drinks today (12 December)....
Austrian beer brand Edelweiss will enjoy a complete makeover next year to focus on a new product - Edelweiss Snowfresh....
Brau Holding International, Germany's third-largest brewer, has insisted flagship brand Paulaner is not for sale amid reports that rival brewer Radeberger is eyeing the wheat beer....
The judge in Heineken's court case with its partners in Singapore has dismissed the Netherlands-based brewer's summons....
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?