UK: Heineken consults staff over Bulmers shake-up
Heineken has confirmed a shake-up of operations around its Bulmers cider brand
Heineken has confirmed it has entered into a consultation process with 97 staff affected by changes to UK production of its Bulmers cider brand.
The company is planning to move all cider production and packaging undertaken at its plant in Ledbury to Hereford - 12 miles away - as part of a GBP58m (US$96.2m) investment, it said in a statement today (3 April). The Ledbury plant, part of Universal Beverages Ltd (UBL), will become a “dedicated fruit milling site”, the company said.
“There are 97 people at UBL affected by these proposals and we have entered into a formal consultation process with them,” the statement said.
However, the brewer said that the investment at Hereford will create “at least” 50 jobs, which will all be available to those affected at Ledbury. Sixteen jobs will also be retained at the Ledbury site to carry out fruit milling operations.
Trade union Unite branded the announcement a “matter of serious concern for the workforce and their families, as well as the local Ledbury economy”. The union said it had met with company representatives and was due to meet affected workers today.
Unite regional officer Chris Purvis said: “Our twin aims are to investigate how many jobs can be transferred from Ledbury to the new plant at Hereford with the appropriate training and to avoid any compulsory redundancies.
“Unite wishes to work in a constructive fashion with management to achieve those two goals.”
This week, just-drinks welcomes Fiona Curtin, the senior innovation manager at Heineken's division in Ireland and a just-drinks subscriber....
Canadean's "Heineken UK Limited: Foodservice - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, ke...
Heineken’s main strategy in Hungary is to maintain its favourable position among the leading producers of beer in Hungary and supply local demand with high-quality beer and cider. In order to achieve ...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
"The Future of the Wine Market in Ukraine to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company research. T...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- This week in spirits & wine
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts