EUROPE: Heineken, Carlsberg to get Euros boost - analyst
Carlsberg is expected to get a boost from being commercial sponsor of the championships
Four of Heineken's top markets - France, Italy, Spain and the UK - have reached the last eight of the tournament, which is expected to provide a sales lift in those countries, according to Trevor Stirling of Bernstein Research. Carlsberg should also benefit from the presence of France, Germany and the UK - more specifically England - in the final stages, Stirling said in a note today (21 June).
The Danish brewer should also see an uplift from its sponsorship of the tournament, he noted.
However, Stirling suggested that, overall, there would not be a "significant net boost to consumption in spectator nations".
"Using the UK as a proxy, we see 4.5% growth in beer consumption during the month of the competition followed by a drop in consumption of 3.8% in the month after the event," he said.
Stirling added that he expects "a net 0.3% growth across the two-summer-month period, with a minimal impact on annualised beer volumes."
On major brewers' potential in the host countries, Stirling said that SABMiller and Heineken are best positioned to benefit from the "modest potential uplift in Poland", as the number one and two brewers.
In Ukraine, Anheuser-Busch InBev and Carlsberg have significant market share.
"However," he added, "both countries are small contributors to the parent groups' overall revenue, and we think the impact on group earnings from host country volumes is unlikely to be material."
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends