NETHERLANDS: Heineken buys cider producer Stassen
Heineken says the acquisition will boost its cider making capacity and allow more product development
Heineken has further boosted its position in cider by acquiring Belgian producer Stassen from its management for an undisclosed sum.
The Dutch-based brewer, which announced the acquistion today (June 8), said the move will offer it cider-making capacity in continental Europe and help with product development. Aubel-based Stassen currently operates a cider making facility, an R&D unit - including a new product pilot plant - and a de-alcoholisation facility for cider, beer and wine.
Terms of the transaction were not disclosed and the acquisition is subject to "customary closing conditions", Heineken said.
"We are excited about Stassen Ciders and its employees becoming part of the Heineken company," said Alexis Nasard, Heineken's chief commercial officer. "Stassen's strong R&D and innovation capabilities will serve us well in a time when there is a lot of new product activity in the category."
Stassen was sold to HP Bulmers in 1992, then became part of Scottish & Newcastle in 2003 after a buy-out. Stassen was sold back by S&N to its original family owners in 2008.
Philippe Stassen, Stassen's MD, added: "This is a great opportunity for our employees and for our site in Aubel, which will further enhance its international scope. We are looking forward to the next phase of our growth story."
Stassen was involved in the development of several of Heineken's recently-introduced ciders, such as Strongbow Gold, Jacques and Bulmers No. 17.
Champagne Louis Roederer group has sold the Bordeaux wine producer Château Bernadotte to Hong Kong-based retail conglomerate King Power Group for an undisclosed sum. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report