UK: Heineken, Britvic deliveries under threat from strike action - Unite
The union said earlier today (5 September) that it has given notice of planned action to the company for a strike starting next Wednesday (11 September). A continuous ban on overtime and a work-to-rule will also be put in place.
The dispute centres around K&N's proposed changes to its UK distribution network, which Unite says could lead to “significant job losses” across the company's 29 UK depots.
Brands potentially affected by the strike are Foster's, Heineken, Kronenbourg, John's Smith's, Strongbrow and Britvic's soft drinks brands, Unite said. Around 30,000 UK on-trade venues could be affected by the strike, the union claims.
Rhys McCarthy, Unite's national officer said: "We have tried to negotiate with the company but it has stubbornly refused to solve this dispute.”
In a statement to just-drinks today, K&N said it has “engaged in lengthy consultation with Unite regarding the proposed changes”. It added: “We are ... extremely disappointed that the notice of industrial action has been issued prior to further discussions taking place.”
The company said it has contingency plans in place to “minimise disruption” if the strike goes ahead.
But, the statement added: “We remain committed to resolving this dispute prior to any action being taken and will be seeking to meet again with Unite in an effort to achieve this.”
This is the first in a new series of short reports from just-drinks. These profiles will bring together all of just-drinks' coverage of a major development involving some of the leading players in the...
"The Future of the Wine Market in Australia to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company research....
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research