CHINA: Heineken breaks ground on new brewery
Heineken has two other breweries in China
Heineken has started construction on a third Chinese brewery as it aims to secure stronger margins in the high-growth market.
The site, which is expected to have an 8.5m-hectolitre annual capacity, is in Jiashan County, Zhejiang Province, 60km south-west of Shanghai. Workers broke ground last week and Heineken hopes to start production by the end of the year.
The greenfield brewery adds to Heineken's presence in China, which includes breweries on the southern island of Hainan and in Guangzhou. The facilitied produce Heineken's namesake brand and Tiger beer.
In an interview with just-drinks on Friday, Heineken's Asia Pacific president, Roland Pirmez, said a strong production footprint in China was important to the Dutch brewer's focus on the premium category. He said about half of the global growth in beer over the next five years will come from China, but warned attention must be paid to margins, which he said were the lowest in the world versus volumes.
“(In China) we have been really focused on delivering a premium quality product - price, packaging and ingredients,” Pirmez said. “You can be very quickly trapped by the speed, the energy and the volumes and if you're not managing carefully you can destroy your brand and you can destroy very quickly your value in China.”
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Here are the ten most read comment pieces by just-drinks' editor, Olly Wehring, ...
Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
Synopsis Canadean's "Heineken N.V. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
Synopsis Canadean's "Heineken USA Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a com...
Heineken México is the second largest beer company in Mexico. The largest traditional beer company in Mexico, as it positions itself, previously named Cervecería Cuauhtemoc Moctezuma, has now, with it...
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- just Five Years Ago - Belvedere Group's Bumpy Ride
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part V: Wine
- just the Ten - Editor's Viewpoints of 2014
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Campari to bag EUR19m with "non-core" assets sale
- Pernod agrees Caribe Cooler sale to Grupo Bepensa
- Pernod wins consent for Glenlivet upgrade
- Thailand pulls back from New Year alcohol ban
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global market review of non-Scotch whiskies – forecasts to 2018
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future