EUROPE/TRAVEL RETAIL: Heineken backs Monteith's Brewing Co with craft roll-out
The range will launch next year
Heineken is to roll out a New Zealand craft beer and cider range it acquired through its takeover of Asia Pacific Breweries on to the global stage.
The Dutch brewer will launch four beers and two ciders from Monteith's Brewing Co into Northern Europe, the UK and some Travel Retail markets on 1 January. The brands, which were previously only available in New Zealand and from some UK specialist retailers, will be distributed as part of Heineken's 'Beers of the World' portfolio.
Speaking to just-drinks at the TFWA World Exhibition in France this week, Heineken's global Travel Retail head, Sean McNaughten, described Monteith's beers and ciders as “sessionable” drinks that “will delight and surprise” consumers.
McNaughten said Travel Retail distribution will focus on cruise line, US Army and Border Retail outlets. He added that Heineken branding will be kept off the bottles.
The selection comprises six brands in 33cl bottles:
- Bohemian Pilsner Beer
- Pacific Pale Ale
- Summer Ale
- Crushed Apple Cider
- Crushed Pear Cider
Heineken acquired Monteith's owner, DB Breweries, earlier this year when it took full control of Asia Pacific Breweries (APB). APB took full control of DB Breweries in 2004, when it bought out shareholders.
Monteith's has around 4% of the New Zealand beer market and is the country's biggest-selling craft brand alongside Mac's, which is owned by Kirin subsidiary Lion Nathan, McNaughten said. It produces about 100,000 hectolitres a year.
Heineken yesterday released its year-to-date results, warning that it expects full-year profits to be down on last year.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Operated by Heineken since 2012, Asia Pacific Breweries became 100% owned by the international brewery leader....
Canadean's "Heineken UK Limited: Foodservice - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, ke...
By realising strong synergy with Kirin Brewery and Mercian Corp, the company aims to strengthen the marketing, research and development functions of the group....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015