EUROPE/TRAVEL RETAIL: Heineken backs Monteith's Brewing Co with craft roll-out
The range will launch next year
Heineken is to roll out a New Zealand craft beer and cider range it acquired through its takeover of Asia Pacific Breweries on to the global stage.
The Dutch brewer will launch four beers and two ciders from Monteith's Brewing Co into Northern Europe, the UK and some Travel Retail markets on 1 January. The brands, which were previously only available in New Zealand and from some UK specialist retailers, will be distributed as part of Heineken's 'Beers of the World' portfolio.
Speaking to just-drinks at the TFWA World Exhibition in France this week, Heineken's global Travel Retail head, Sean McNaughten, described Monteith's beers and ciders as “sessionable” drinks that “will delight and surprise” consumers.
McNaughten said Travel Retail distribution will focus on cruise line, US Army and Border Retail outlets. He added that Heineken branding will be kept off the bottles.
The selection comprises six brands in 33cl bottles:
- Bohemian Pilsner Beer
- Pacific Pale Ale
- Summer Ale
- Crushed Apple Cider
- Crushed Pear Cider
Heineken acquired Monteith's owner, DB Breweries, earlier this year when it took full control of Asia Pacific Breweries (APB). APB took full control of DB Breweries in 2004, when it bought out shareholders.
Monteith's has around 4% of the New Zealand beer market and is the country's biggest-selling craft brand alongside Mac's, which is owned by Kirin subsidiary Lion Nathan, McNaughten said. It produces about 100,000 hectolitres a year.
Heineken yesterday released its year-to-date results, warning that it expects full-year profits to be down on last year.
In the second part of this month's management briefing, which shines the light on the importance of environmental sustainability in the brewing industry, Ben Cooper considers the impact of stakeholder...
This is the first in a new series of short reports from just-drinks. These profiles will bring together all of just-drinks' coverage of a major development involving some of the leading players in the...
In the third part of this month's management briefing, Ben Cooper reviews the environmental sustainability of three of the world's biggest brewers: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Carlsberg and Diageo....
Kirin Brewery Co Ltd aims to increase its sales and profit by 2015. In order to achieve this, the company plans to invest its resources to enhance the Kirin brand regardless of its profit in 2013. The...
The penultimate part of this month's management briefing sees Ben Cooper continue his review of the environmental efforts of the larger brewers. Here, he looks at Heineken, Molson Coors and SABMiller....
After Schincariol Participações e Representações SA was totally acquired by Kirin Holdings at the end of 2011, the company started to review its process and structure, in order to become more organise...
Roland Pirmez was president of Asia Pacific Breweries before Heineken took full control of the joint venture in 2012. He now combines that role with heading up Heineken's Asia Pacific division. just-d...
Japanese brewer Kirin has significantly expanded its geographic coverage through acquisition. This profile analyses the company’s strategies for dealing with challenging domestic conditions and develo...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research