JAPAN: Heatwave benefits Japanese brewers - figures
Domestic beer and beer-like drink shipments in Japan registered a slight rise last month, according to recent statistics.
The Brewers Association of Japan said yesterday (12 September) that shipments in August were up by 1.2% on the same month a year earlier, thanks in part to a heatwave in the country. Total shipments hit 49.77m cases, with one case containing 20 633ml bottles. While regular beer slipped by 0.2%, happoshu also suffered, down by 1.2%. Propping up the sector, however, was the so-called third-beer category, which registered a lift in shipments of 9.3%.
Asahi retained the top spot among the country's brewers in August, the association said, with shipments rising by 2.1% thanks to Super Dry regular beer and happoshu sales. Kirin and Sapporo, however, saw total shipments slip, despite increases in their third-category sales.
Last month, Kirin added to its third-category stable, with the launch of Sparkling Hop in the country. The drink, which bypasses Japan's liquor tax system, is made of a mix of happoshu and spirits.
San Miguel Corp. has lined up the flotation of its domestic beer unit for later this year, according to local reports....
Sapporo Holdings has turned down a takeover bid from US private equity group Steel Partners....
The prospect of price rises led to a leap in beer sales in Japan last month, according to recent figures....
Beer shipments in Japan continued their downward trend last year, according to recent figures....
Sapporo Holdings has hired the former president of Cargill Japan to become president of its subsidiary Sapporo Beverage Co....
Saigon Beer Alcohol Beverage Corp (Sabeco) is looking for a foreign brewer to invest in the Vietnamese company, according to local reports....
Asahi Breweries has warned that sales this year will be lower than 2007, as raw material costs lead to price rises....
Kirin Holdings is teaming up with its trans-Tasman unit Lion Nathan to jointly purchase raw materials, in light of commodity cost increases....
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Kraft Foods agrees Heinz merger
- Heineken unveils global Desperados push
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets