FRANCE: Harvest to be smallest for a decade
"For this vintage unlike any other, the quality of the wines will depend on the technical prowess of the winemakers and the complementary nature of the production process," Onivins said.
The 2003 harvest is the lowest since 1991 when the vintage came in at 42.7m hectolitres. Of the 47.1m hectolitres, some 21m hectolitres will be AOC wines, 17.2m hectolitres will be table wine and 8.8m hectolitres will be used for distillation to make Cognac and Armagnac.
Last year's harvest totalled 52m hectolitres while the harvest, while the harvest in 2001 reached 55.3m hectolitres.
In this month's Just the Answer, Christian Delpeuch, president of the CIVB (Conseil Interprofessionnel du Vin de Bordeaux), discusses how Bordeaux is tackling over-production and innovating to compete...
Interest gathers for Taittinger and Lanson. In stark contrast to most of the French wine industry, sales of Champagne have been growing steadily and it is no surprise to find that the possible sale of...
The powerful Bordeaux et Bordeaux supérieur wine union has voted to block bulk sales of wine when prices fall below EUR1,000 (US$1,178) a barrel....
Five candidates out of a total of 15 have been short-listed for the purchase of Champagne house Lanson International, formerly Marne & Champagne, according to French media reports....
US wine importer Paterno Wines International has added the Loire wine producer Langlois-Chateau to its portfolio....
For the first time in the history of French wines, producers of the superior AOC label have been instructed by the sector's governing body, the Institut National des Appellations d'Origine (INAO) , to...
The French wine industry's troubles are unlikely to be helped by this year's harvest as preliminary figures predict a bumper crop, placing more pressure on winemakers who are still struggling to sell ...
One of the leading administrators in the French wine industry has said the industry is finally embracing the "revolutionary" reform needed to cope with declining sales, overproduction and intense comp...
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Pernod Ricard targets at-home drinking
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends