JAPAN: Happoshu price war intensifies
Suntory has made the latest offensive in the discounting war between Japan's major drinks groups in the happoshu low malt beverage sector. Suntory will position the 350ml can of its new Super Magnum Dry happoshu due to be launched on 25 June at Y130. The company was originally planning to position the brand at Y135 but then decided to lower it still further, undercutting the three other major Japanese drinks companies active in that market. The move is the latest in a price war that has developed in the market for happoshu, a product which is already cheaper than standard beer because of the structure of the tax system.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 14 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- A tobacco analogy soft drinks will want to embrace
- PepsiCo to consider more re-franchising - CEO
- Cleaning China's seedier side brings Remy balance
- just The Preview - SABMiller's Q1
- Pernod's Portman Group penalty - a coincidence?
- Diageo's Captain Morgan Facebook ad banned
- Diageo faces public consultation over W&M sale
- William Grant silent on Drambuie bid talk
- Bacardi to fight US football team legal action
- Alcohol retailer group appoints new chairman