JAPAN: Happoshu price war intensifies
Suntory has made the latest offensive in the discounting war between Japan's major drinks groups in the happoshu low malt beverage sector. Suntory will position the 350ml can of its new Super Magnum Dry happoshu due to be launched on 25 June at Y130.
The company was originally planning to position the brand at Y135 but then decided to lower it still further, undercutting the three other major Japanese drinks companies active in that market. The move is the latest in a price war that has developed in the market for happoshu, a product which is already cheaper than standard beer because of the structure of the tax system.
Suntory, which later this month will launch a happoshu carrying third-party advertising and retailing at Y128, said it also plans to reduce the price of another of its happoshu brands "Jun-nama," by Y10 to Y135 yen with effect from 21 June. Kirin and Asahi have both in recent months lowered their happoshu brands by Y10 to the Y135 mark.
Spirits company Blavod Extreme Spirits and the Japanese drinks group Suntory recently announced the formation of a joint venture to develop and market new spirits brands. Chris Brook-Carter spoke with...
Suntory is to construct a new soft drinks facility in Japan....
Suntory has failed to declare JPY760m (US$6.5m) in taxable income for a four-year period ending December 2003, according to local reports....
Skyy Spirits has secured US distribution rights for a stable of brands owned by Japan's Suntory....
Suntory International Corp. is to release three types of shochu in the US....
The Blavod Extreme Spirits joint venture Diamante Spirits is to produce and market a new Tequila, El Diamante del Cielo (Diamond in the Sky). The new product will have a retail value between US$45-60 ...
Blavod Extreme Spirits has agreed to form a joint venture company with Suntory International Corp, the US subsidiary of Suntory Limited. ...
Suntory Ltd is to suspend sales of its Bubbleman Soda Jet soft drink....
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo welcomes verdict on Crown Royal "confusion"
- Bacardi, Pernod Ricard welcome US-Cuba deal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future