US: Hansen Natural Corp Q1 sales, profits fall
Monster Khaos launched in UK in March
Hansen Natural Corp will continue to seek new markets for its Monster Energy drink in 2010, after reporting a fall in both sales and profits in the first quarter of the year.
Net sales for the three months to the end of March fell to US$238m, down 2.5% from $244m in the same period of 2009, Hansen Natural said yesterday (6 May).
Sales were hit by stockpiling in the final months of 2009 by distributors keen to avoid new charges introduced in January for marketing Monster Energy, said Hansen. Monster Hitman energy shooters also struggled.
Hansen reported operating profits down at $50.8m versus $65.8m in the first quarter of 2009. Net profits also fell, to $32.6m from $41.6m.
"We are planning to introduce new products in 2010, both domestically and internationally and we are continuing with our international expansion plans in Western, Central and Eastern Europe, the Middle East and South America, as well as evaluating additional geographies and opportunities for the Monster Energy brand," said Hansen Natural CEO Rodney Sacks.
"Nielsen continues to report ongoing improved results for the Monster Energy brand, ahead of category growth," he added.
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Will the Selfie Prove the Tonic for Beauty Drinks?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review