GERMANY: Hanover city attempts to block Interbrew acquisition
In an extraordinary turn of events, the German city of Hanover is preparing to file a law suit to stop the Belgian beer giant Interbrew from buying Gilde Brauerei.
Interbrew announced a €525m deal on Friday to acquire Brauergilde Hannover, the parent company of the German brewer. Interbrew also offered to buy the 14.6% of Gilde that Brauergilde Hannover did not own, once the first deal had been completed.
However the German city of Hanover is taking Brauergilde Hannover to court over the company's decision on Friday to accept the offer. It says the German brewer failed to get its sale to Interbrew approved by enough shareholders.
Although more than 60% of Brauergilde Hannover shareholders attended an extraordinary meeting on Friday and voted in favour of changing the company's by-laws to allow for its sale to Interbrew, the city is arguing that a simple majority was enough to approve the sale.
The city treasurer said: "For a change in the company status to allow a takeover in the first place, a 75% majority is needed. There was no 75% majority, but only a simple majority."
The city's decision to delay or block the takeover, which was originally invited by the supervisory board of Gilde, is being seen as a move to protect jobs in the capital of Lower Saxony.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Following its recent re-launch in the UK, SABMiller has introduced its Italian lager brand Peroni Nastro Azzurro to the Romanian market....
Heineken said yesterday that its Austrian subsidiary Brau Union AG has signed an agreement for the divestment of its Real Estate Division. This division comprises all non-business related real estate ...
Pernod Ricard is looking to acquire Allied Domecq....
Allied Domecq and Pernod Ricard have both been downgraded....
Heineken has acquired a 40% stake in a Chinese brewery....
Heineken Espana is looking to invest heavily in a new plant in southern Spain....
The chief financial officer of Brau Union has resigned....
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research