FRANCE: Half-year set fair for Pernod Ricard, ups FY target
The France-based wine and spirits company said today (28 February) that net profit over the six months to the end of December rose by 17.7% on the corresponding period a year earlier, coming in at EUR588m (US$887.7m).
The rise came on the back of a 5.9% lift in sales in the period, which hit EUR3.71bn. All Pernod's geographic regions were credited with contributing to sales growth, with an accelerated contribution from emerging countries. China, India and Russia were, in that order, the leading three contributors to sales growth.
Operating profit from ordinary activities were up by 15.3% in the six-month period, hitting EUR966m. Asia/Rest of the World and Europe delivered "particularly dynamic growth", the company said, thanks to the growth of premium brands in emerging markets. Profit from the Americas, however, slipped by 5% to EUR265m, as negative currency fluctuations made their presence felt.
"The first half of our 2007/2008 year was exceptional both in terms of the strength of sales and the growth in margins," said company chairman and CEO, Patrick Ricard. "The increase in profit was such that we decided to accelerate the growth in advertising and marketing
expenditure, thus strengthening our growth prospects."
Pernod has subsequently upped its full-year guidance for 2007/2008. The group is now targeting operating profit growth of at least 12% for the fiscal year.
Gloomy talk of a global economic slowdown have so far failed to dilute growth in the US vodka category. One of the better known contenders in the segment - if only for its ocean blue-coloured bottle -...
The South African whisky market grew by an estimated 16.2% in 2007 to over 3.5m cases. According to The IWSR's South Africa Wine and Spirits 2008 report, growth was largely driven by Jameson, Jack Dan...
Pernod Ricard has confirmed the executive team for its recently-acquired Vin & Sprit Absolut Spirits....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Pernod Ricard is to re-introduce its Hiram Walker Pumpkin Spice limited edition along with newcomer Hiram Walker Gingerbread Liqueur to the US....
Canadian spirits group Corby Distilleries said its focus on premium sectors had paid off with a 6% revenue rise over the last year....
Pernod Ricard has said its Argentinean wine brand Graffigna is to become a leading player in the group's wine portfolio in the UK....
Pernod Ricard has said the first stage of an upgrade to facilities at its Champagne Mumm winery will be ready for the new harvest....
- Comment - The Appeal and Perils of Craft
- Cuba-US Normalisation: Bacardi, Pernod Winners?
- Review of the Year 2014 - Part IV: Spirits
- Sustainability in Wine - Part I
- Time is Right for Refresco Gerber Exit
- Belvédère to sell assets, streamline portfolio
- Belvedere vodka tie-up over new James Bond film
- Diageo ups focus on China with Mortlach roll-out
- Diageo rolls out Beckham's Haig Club to US
- Brown-Forman eyeing Scotch, Irish whisk(e)y entry?
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018
- just-drinks on-trend: Craft beer - fortunes and future