FRANCE: H1 sales rise for Vranken-Pommery Monopole
- H1 sales up 9.2% to EUR122.1m (US$164m)
- Champagne sales in six months rise 6.1%
- Rosé wine JV with Castel - Listel - comes into being
The company was boosted by a strong Q1 after a slip in Champagne sales in Q2
Champagne and still wine producer Vranken-Pommery Monopole has reported a 9.2% lift in first-half sales, helped by a strong export performance.
Sales in the six months to the end of the June rose to EUR122.1m (US$164m), compared to EUR111.9 in last year's first half, the Reims-based company said. The group's Champagne sales, which represent 80% of revenues, climbed 6.1% in the period to EUR78.8m.
Rosé wine sales, which account for 20% of sales, were up 7.4%, while "other" brands, including Rozes Port and Terras Do Grifo, saw sales up 21.3% to EUR7.8m.
However, the performance reflected a strong showing in Q1, as Q2 Champagne sales fell by 4.5% to EUR42.2m. Group sales in the second quarter were flat.
Vranken-Pommery said the market is showing “very slight signs of recovery”, with Northern Europe driving sales of its Vranken, Pommery and Heidsieck & Co brands.
Rosé wines also performed well for the group, with “significant” growth on the French market and globally. “The American market, among others, continues to follow a very positive trend, thanks particularly to the Listel and Billette brands,” the firm added.
Vranken-Pommery's joint-venture with fellow French wine group Castel came into being at the end of last month. The two groups have a 50% stake in the company – Listel – which will sell rosé wine around the world. China, Russia and African are among the JV's targets.
France currently represents 60% of Vranken-Pommery's sales, with the rest of Europe accounting for 31%. Non-Europe sales are 8%.
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's YTD performance - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- AB InBev targets South Africa with redundancy plan
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater 24 packaging revamp
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends