FRANCE: Guigal attacks dumbing down of French wine industry
Marcel Guigal, one of the most respected figures in the French wine world, has called on the country's big-name regions to drag the country out of its 'structural crisis'.
Speaking as he accepted his 'Man of the Year' award from UK wine magazine Decanter last week, Guigal attacked his fellow countrymen for their lack of vision and was blunt about where the problems lay.
"Some (industry) professionals opened their eyes and others did not," he said. "Since then an unprecedented structural crisis has blighted our industry. I am convinced that a qualitative push upwards is indispensable, despite, an annoying tendency in this country to bring things down to their lowest level.
"Historical French appellations should become the drivers for progress… New World wines can provide us with stimulation and, sometimes, inspiration."
The UK market is developing in terms of sales and sophistication. Drawing on up-to-the-minute consumer research, Alex McPhee, Neville Calvert and David Matthews of management consultants, KPMG, examin...
Recently published research indicates that while consumers have taken to the clear and modern marketing techniques employed by New World producers, they still cherish the romance and mystique of wine,...
Seven French wine co-operatives have joined forces to create a brand to compete with its New World rivals....
US wine and spirits distributor New World Brands has appointed David Rudden as CEO....
UBS has begun its coverage of the Chilean wine producer Concha y Toro (VCO)....
Vincor International has reported a 46% increase in first quarter sales, compared to the same period last year, to C$165.8m, following its acquisition of Western Wines in July last year....
The Norwegian drinks distributor Arcus is to launch its own Argentine wine brand....
The French wine industry's troubles are unlikely to be helped by this year's harvest as preliminary figures predict a bumper crop, placing more pressure on winemakers who are still struggling to sell ...
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review