NZ: GSK hit by further Ribena vitamin C damage
GlaxoSmithKline has followed last week's Australia vitamin C scandal with fines in New Zealand.
The company has been fined NZ$227,500 (US$316,000) in New Zealand for breaching fair trading laws regarding the vitamin C content of its pre-mixed Ribena. Last week , GSK "self-reported" discrepancies in its claims about vitamin C content in Ribena on sale in Australia.
GlaxoSmithKline admitted to the court in New Zealand that its Ribena did not contain any vitamin C, despite claims that it contained seven milligrams of the vitamin per 100 millilitres. The issue came to light when two New Zealand schoolgirls conducted experiments on the drink and discovered the lack of vitamin C. The two girls told local press that their claims to the company were initially ignored.
"The fact that some of our products had incorrect labelling is to us, unacceptable, and we sincerely regret any confusion caused to customers who feel they may have been misled," the company said today in a statement.
No-one was available for further comment at GlaxoSmithKline when contacted by just-drinks today (27 March).
In the wake of a scandal in Australia and New Zealand where GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) was fined for misrepresenting the Vitamin C level of its Ribena brand, Graham Neale, general manager at Nutritional He...
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Minimum unit pricing fails to get European backing
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review