ITALY: Gruppo Campari sales, profit rise
Italian spirits group Campari has reported a 0.8% rise in revenue for the first nine months of 2008, despite unfavourable exchange rates.
Revenue crept up to EUR649.6m for the nine months ended 30 September, Campari said today (11 November). Pre-tax profit rose by 0.9% to EUR116.5m.
A strong performance from the Campari brand and the group's Brazilian brands, which increased sales by 10% and 21% respectively, boosted the firm's results.
Exchange rate fluctuations sent total sales in spirits, a division which makes up two thirds of revenue, down by 1% for the nine months, however. Skyy increased sales by 11% at constant exchange rates, but this translated into a 0.8% decline in real terms. Scotch whisky brand Glen Grant also saw sales slip 0.5%.
Wines, which make up around 15% of Campari revenue, increased sales by 8%, with strong growth from Cinzano Vermouth and sparkling wines.
Campari's Italian soft drinks division increased sales by 2% on an organic basis, driven by the Crodino brand, the group said.
CEO Bob Kunze-Concewitz said he was pleased with the results, considering tough market conditions. "As we look ahead, we expect to contain the short-term market challenges and remain positive on the growth prospects of our group in the medium-long term."
Campari also today announced the acquisition of Tequila firm Destiladora San Nicolas for US$27.5m. Click here to read more.
Recent results suggest all spirits companies are feeling the effects of the downturn but some are better equipped for long-term growth than others. Jeremy Cunnington of Euromonitor International asses...
Delegates from the world of spirits gathered in London today for day one of the two-day World Whiskies Conference. You can expect more from us over the next couple of days, but here are some choice qu...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Pernod Ricard has sold its Wild Turkey Bourbon brand to Gruppo Campari. The France-based wine and spirits company, which has been divesting minor brands of late to help pay off its purchase of Vin & S...
Campari has said that its Cinzano and namesake brand will from 1 April be distributed in the Czech Republic by Rémy Cointreau....
Gruppo Campari has posted a slight lift in full-year net profit, despite a dip in sales in the period....
Magners cider owner C&C Group has said that it is not selling its spirits business, following a report by just-drinks this afternoon (2 March)....
Skyy Spirits has expanded its Skyy Vodka Infusions All Natural line to include a pineapple flavour for the US market....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends