US: Gruppo Campari completes US spirits purchase
Gruppo Campari has acquired the portfolio of spirits company X-Rated in the US.
The Italian group confirmed today (19 July) that it has bought X-Rated Fusion Liqueur, Jean-Marc XO luxury vodka and X-Rated ultra premium vodka for a cash sum of US$40m. The X-Rated portfolio, formerly owned by Jean-Marc Daucourt and Todd Martin, the former Allied Domecq North America president, is currently distributed in the US by spirits company Daucourt Martin Imports.
Launched in 2004, X-Rated reported sales volumes last year of 70,000 nine-litre cases overall.
As part of the deal, a price adjustment will be paid in the next three years based on the incremental sales volume performance over the same period. The transaction is anticipated to close next month.
"Following the recently announced Cabo Wabo Tequila transaction, X-Rated is yet another strategic acquisition with high upside for Gruppo Campari and contributes to further strengthen our presence, through our subsidiary Skyy Spirits, in the US, a crucial market in the group's international expansion strategy," said Bob Kunze-Concewitz, CEO of Campari.
X-Rated Fusion Liqueur is a mix of French vodka and blood oranges from Provence, fused with mango and passion fruit. The drink is particularly popular among upscale legal drinking age women, Campari noted. Jean-Marc XO Vodka, meanwhile, is made from four different types of French wheat and distilled nine times.
X-Rated Vodkais a small batch import from France made from delicate French wheat and a hint of Baies Roses (roseberry grain).
"Skyy Spirits and Gruppo Campari will take our cutting edge spirits brands to new heights" said Todd Martin, CEO of Daucourt Martin Imports. "They have an outstanding track record of building stylish brands worldwide."
Gloomy talk of a global economic slowdown have so far failed to dilute growth in the US vodka category. One of the better known contenders in the segment – if only for its ocean blue-coloured bottle –...
just-drinks wine pundit Chris Losh turns clairvoyant to predict the big stories of 2008. Will our Nostradamus of the Spittoon be proved right? There is only one way to find out. Keep reading just-drin...
Central European Distribution Corp. has plans to raise its full year 2008 net sales guidance in response to rising consumer demand for premium imported spirits and wines....
Lehman Brothers has revised its ratings of a raft of European drinks companies in its latest industry review....
Pernod Ricard USA has introduced two new bottle sizes for its ultra-premium Stoli elit vodka brand....
French wine and spirits group Belvédère will list on the Warsaw Stock Exchange, its founder and director, Jacques Rouvroy, has told just-drinks....
The future bodes well for spirits companies, according to an analyst, although brewers will find 2008 tough going as commodity prices remain high....
Belvédère is poised to sell non-strategic assets totalling more than EUR100m (US$147.8m) this year in a bid to reduce debt levels....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research