US/BELGIUM: Grupo Modelo takeover cements Anheuser-Busch InBev's top status - analyst
Anheuser-Busch InBev is still beer's "global mogul"
A-B InBev announced in June that it had agreed to buy the 50% of Mexico's Modelo it did not already own for US$20.1bn. The deal places the Belgian brewer ahead of rival “global mogul” beer makers, analysts CLSA said in a note yesterday (27 September).
“We expect A-B InBev's long-term sales and earnings-per-share growth to improve by one percentage point and from three to five percentage points, respectively, on the deal, likely to close in the first quarter of 2013,” the note said.
Mexico is well-placed to emulate A-B InBev's success in Brazil, where it has a 69% market share, the note said. Modelo has a 57% share in Mexico and margins can be lifted by lowering commodity costs and cutting staff.
The note also said A-B InBev can take advantage of future acquisitions in a global beer market 51%-controlled by brewers outside the top-five. A-B InBev has 20% of the global market while second-place SABMiller has 10%, the note said.
CLSA also said regulators were unlikely to block the Modelo takeover. However, last week, UK watchdogs said they were investigating whether the buy-out will raise competition issues in the country.
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends