JAPAN/UK: Grupo Modelo spurns Anheuser-Busch InBev for Molson Coors
Grupo Modelo has plumped for Molson Coors in Japan and the UK
Grupo Modelo has secured a distribution deal for its beer brands in the UK and Japan with Molson Coors.
The two brewers confirmed early this morning (7 October) that they have agreed on key terms that will make Molson Coors the distributor of Modelo's beers, including Corona Extra in the UK and Channel Islands, and Japan. The partnership, which will be seen as a major slap in the face to Anheuser-Busch InBev, will take effect from January.
Earlier this week, Wells & Young's confirmed that it would lose Modelo's beers in the UK at the beginning of next year. The UK brewer had handled the brands for 15 years.
Molson Coors will be responsible for importing, selling and marketing the Modelo brands across the two countries. The brewers already work together in Canada.
Anheuser-Busch InBev was widely expected to pick up the distribution, seeing as the brewer owns a 50% non-controlling stake in the Mexican firm.
A-B InBev has struggled to get Modelo onside since InBev acquired Anheuser-Busch, which held the Modelo stake, in 2008. The Mexican firm has openly moved to shake itself free of A-B InBev, to no avail, ever since.
“We are pleased to be extending our relationship with Molson Coors into the UK and Japan," said José Parés, vice-president, chief sales and marketing officer for Modelo. "Modelo and Molson Coors are two major beer groups with complementary brand portfolios.
"This new partnership will allow us to collaborate in offering our consumers a wide range of products to satisfy different needs at different moments.”
SABMiller's CEO, Graham Mackay, has stoked the fire of speculation by forecasting more consolidation in the beer sector, but has he also hinted that Foster's Group is asking for too much money?...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets