MEXICO: Grupo Modelo sees export dip weigh on Q1 profits
Grupo Modelo has seen a drop in export sales in the first quarter of this year hammer its profits.
The Mexican brewer, which produces the Corona beer brand, said earlier this week that net profit for the first three months of 2008 dropped by 15.9% on the corresponding period a year earlier, coming in at MXN2.07bn (US$197.6m). Sales followed suit, down 2.5% to MXN16.16bn.
Despite a 2.6% lift in domestic sales volumes, export sales, primarily to the US, dipped by 7.7% in the period.
Modelo, whose Corona beer is the top-selling export beer brand in the US, is half-owned by Anheuser-Busch.
Earlier this week, Anheuser-Busch posted a slip in net income, despite a rise in sales for the first three months of this year.
The US-based brewer said that net income for the first quarter came in 1.3% down on the corresponding period a year earlier, at US$511m. Net sales, however, were up by 6.2% at $4.1bn.
Icelandic Water opened its long-awaited 'naturally powered' bottling facility late last month. Michelle Russell visited the new state-of-the-art plant and spoke with the company's CEO and co-founder, ...
Hansen Natural reached a distribution deal this week with Coca-Cola Co, together with Coca-Cola Enterprises, to distribute its Monster energy drink in six Western European countries as well as Canada ...
Anheuser-Busch has said that it has agreed a settlement in lawsuits filed by shareholders during the InBev bidding process....
Anheuser-Busch has confirmed details of its latest dividend payment....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
[Updated 19:20BST] Grupo Modelo has filed a notice of arbitration against Anheuser-Busch in light of A-B's pending takeover by InBev....
InBev has postponed its rights offering following the recent "unprecedented" volatility on the world's stock markets....
A poor financial climate means Australian drinks group Foster's might be forced to wait to unload its troubled wine division....
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research