MEXICO: Grupo Modelo seeks acquisitions, tie-ups
Grupo Modelo in expansive mood - CEO
Mexico's largest brewer, Grupo Modelo, has confirmed that it is eyeing acquisitions in beer and other drinks categories in emerging markets.
A Modelo official confirmed chairman Carlos Fernandez as telling local financial daily Milenio: "If we see a good opportunity, we have the financing to make a purchase.” Fernandez said that China, Brazil and Venezuela are interesting markets due to their booming growth rates.
Modelo is also looking to expand its product portfolio through new launches or brand acquisitions, the official confirmed to just-drinks today (9 November). It is mulling strategic partnerships similar to the one struck recently with Nestle's bottled water division in Mexico.
Earlier this year, analysts speculated that Anheuser-Busch Inbev would seek to use its 50% non-controlling stake in Modelo to mount a full takeover of the brewer. However, Fernandez reiterated prior statements that the family-owned enterprise intends to remain independent.
Modelo will invest MXN5bn (US$400m) in its Mexican business in 2011, down from MXN7bn this year, reflecting a forecast fall in Mexico's GDP growth, to 3.8% in 2011 from an expected 5% this year.
Crown Imports has followed the latest push for Grupo Modelo's Corona Extra beer brand in the US with a national multimedia advertising campaign for Modelo Especial in the country....
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report