US: Grupo Modelo rating restarted
Bear Stearns has reinitiated coverage of Grupo Modelo.
The analyst yesterday (1 April) gave the Mexico-based brewer a 'peer perform' rating, and set a price target for the end of 2008 of MXN54.49 per share.
Slowing exports of beer to the US, coupled with expected slimmer operating margins, meant that Modelo has few catalysts, Bear Stearns said in a report. The company's domestic business, however, should continue to perform well, with sales forecast to increase by around 7% this year and next.
Bear Stearns also suggested that the company could be the subject of a takeover bid in the future.
"Investors have tag-along rights if Modelo's control group sells. Investors who like Modelo's fundamental valuation may some day benefit from tag-along rights as we believe (Modelo shareholder) Anheuser-Busch may eventually tender for Modelo," Bear Stearns analyst Alan Alanis said in the report.
Last month, that net profit for the 12 months to the end of December rose by 5.6% on 2006, coming in at MXN9.50bn (US$879.6m). Total sales delivered a higher rise, meanwhile, climbing by 23.6% year-on-year to MXN72.89bn. Net export sales of Modelo's beers soared in the year, up 77.2% in value terms to MXN30.75bn, although the company was at pains to point out that export figures were non-comparable, due to a change in reporting status.
Operating income in 2007 leapt by 22.1% to MXN20.59bn. In volume terms, total sales, both at home and abroad, were up by 3.4% to 51.54m hectolitres.
Diageo appears to be making light of the economic downturn, turning in highly respectable year-end figures late last month, but some brands performed better than others. In the second part of this spe...
InBev shareholders will get their chance to vote on the brewer's proposed takeover of Anheuser-Busch at the end of this month....
InBev has said turmoil in financial markets has not dented its takeover deal with US brewing giant Anheuser-Busch....
Anheuser-Busch has expanded its Budweiser portfolio by launching Budweiser American Ale in the US....
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
InBev has confirmed that it will take control of Anheuser-Busch's stake in Chinese brewer Tsingtao, once it has completed the takeover of the US company....
MillerCoors, the brewer formed by Coors and SABMiller, is being sued by public health campaigners over a its caffeinated alcoholic drink, Sparks....
InBev has called a shareholders meeting for later this month, to vote on its purchase of Anheuser-Busch....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research