MEXICO: Grupo Modelo FY profits edge up
- FY net profits up by 4.4% to MXN 12.3bn (US$964.8m)
- Net sales in 2012 rise by 9.1% to MXN 99.3bn
- Operating profits increase by 14% to MXN 25.1bn
- FY domestic volumes flat, exports up 4.7%
Modelo saw a rise in FY profits and sales
Grupo Modelo has reported a slight rise in full-year profits as its export business outperformed domestic operations.
Net profits in the 12 months to the end of December rose by 4.4% to MXN12.3bn (US$964.8m), the Corona brewer announced yesterday (11 February). Sales in the period increased by 9.1% to MXN99.3bn.
Operating profits in the year saw a 14% jump to MXN25.1bn.
Total volumes in the full-year were flat at 39m hectolitres, but exports rose by 4.7% to 17.7m hectolitres. Volumes in Latin America and Asia saw double-digit growth, with Chile, China and Japan the strongest performers, the company said.
In value terms, exports grew 12% to MXN39.7m, while domestic sales were up by 6.5% to MXN51.6m.
In Q4, the Mexican group, which is in the process of being acquired by Anheuser-Busch InBev pending a lawsuit by the US Department of Justice, net profits fell by 1.8% to MXN3.47bn. Net sales in three month period rose by 4.1% to MXN24.17bn.
Crown Imports, Modelo's JV with Constellation Brands, registered an operating profit of US$443m, from sales of $2.6bn.
The company said: "In the US, the total Crown Imports portfolio outperformed both the industry and the imported beer category, in comparison to the prior year. Grupo Modelo’s total sales for a portfolio that includes seven brands, registered once again a record volume in that country."
Constellation last week requested a role in the legal case over A-B InBev's acquisition of Modelo, as it seeks to take full control of Crown Imports.
For Grupo Modelo's full company statement, click here
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- A snapshot of the UK spirits market - Focus
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends