MEXICO: Grupo Modelo, Anheuser-Busch InBev to discuss Foster's bid - report
Analysts sceptical that Grupo Modelo will get Anheuser-Busch InBev backing for Foster's Group beer bid
Modelo and A-B InBev will discuss the issue at a meeting in Mexico City today (13 June), according to a Bloomberg report that cited people familiar with the situation.
A-B InBev has a 50% non-controlling stake in Modelo and, according to the terms of the tie-up, the Mexican brewer would only be able to pursue Foster's with the Budweiser brewer's blessing.
News of the meeting comes less than a fortnight after Modelo and Molson Coors were outed as potential joint bidders for Foster's, which has a market value of close to AUD9bn (US$9.5bn).
Speculation about potential bids for Foster's is rife. As of last month, the group is predominantly an Australian beer business following the spin-off of its international wine operations. Foster's also commands relatively strong profit margins and is one of a dwindling number of publicly-listed brewers considered available for takeover.
Several analysts have expressed doubt that A-B InBev would allow Modelo to move for Foster's. "Why run the risk of investing a large amount in a market that is so small, distant and declining?," said JPMorgan's Alan Alanis in a note last week.
He said that it is possible that Modelo could secure a deal without Molson Coors that would also bolster the Mexican group's earnings, but that "strategically, it's a stretch".
Morningstar analyst Phil Gorham said: "We think it highly unlikely that A-B InBev will give its consent, because an acquisition of Foster's by Modelo could weaken the voting rights of the A-B InBev representatives on [Modelo's] board of directors.
He added: "If A-B InBev's management views the deal as attractive, the firm has the financial clout to acquire Foster's Group outright."
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research