FRANCE: Groupe Danone to cut 900 jobs in Europe
Danone has revealed the extent of its cost-cutting plans
Danone today (19 February) revealed it plans to cut 900 jobs from its operations in Europe in a bid to revitalise its business in a region where sales fell in 2012.
The Paris-headquartered bottled water and food group said in December it wanted to reduce its costs in Europe by EUR200m (US$261m) over two years and this morning outlined the impact on jobs.
Under the proposals, being discussed with staff officials today, some 900 posts across 26 countries will go. Danone plans to cut its "management units" by around half and combine teams from several countries into "multi-country units".
Its plans also include a move for executives to focus on "missions and projects that have a direct impact on business growth".
Danone, which said it would continue to do business in the same number of countries in Europe, wants to "win back its competitive edge" in the region.
The company's 2012 financial results, also reported today, revealed Danone's group net profits edged up by 0.9% to EUR1.82bn, off the back of an increase in sales by 5.4% to EUR20.87bn.
This month's management briefing continues with our look at environmental sustainability in the drinks industry. Following his look at the brewing sector earlier this year, Ben Cooper turns his attent...
Mintel offers an insight into the impact on functional foods and beverages, following the European Food Safety Authority's ruling on health claims last year....
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research