FRANCE: Groupe Danone confident after H1 sales rise
Groupe Danone increased sales by more than 9% in the first half of 2008, despite a tough second quarter for its bottled water division.
Like-for-like sales excluding currency rate changes rose 9.6% to EUR7.7bn (US$12.1bn) during the six months, Danone said today (25 July).
Operating profit rose 15.8% to EUR701m, prompting the French dairy, water and nutrition group to reconfirm its full-year guidance.
There was a mixed performance from the group's bottled water division. Sales dipped by 0.8% in the second quarter as rises in emerging markets failed to offset difficult conditions in key European markets like France, UK and Spain.
Cost rises also caused Danone's profit margin on water to drop below 2007 levels.
Total water sales rose 2.6% to EUR2.1bn for the six months, largely thanks to double-digit growth in Asia and Latin America, and particularly Indonesia, Mexico and Argentina.
Group chairman Franck Riboud said the firm had accelerated its innovation programme "in those markets where we have recently started to witness softness in consumer spending".
Australia's drinks industry could be facing a few seismic shifts over the next few months....
While the past 12 months have been difficult for many soft drinks companies, notably in North America, the last year has seen continued development in better-for-you categories, notably enhanced water...
Bottled water was the fastest growing sector of the global soft drinks market in 2007 but as the economic downturn squeezes middle-class wallets in Western Europe and North America, there is evidence ...
Drought conditions have made the last few years tough for Australian wine producers. But while one might have expected the extended hot and dry conditions to be a fillip for the soft drinks sector, fi...
Danone, the French dairy and water group, has said it will appeal a court ruling in the British Virgin Islands over its trademark dispute with Chinese business partner Wahaha....
Jacek Pastuszka has been appointed new CEO of Carlsberg Polska with effect from 9 January....
Coca-Cola Amatil has rejected a near A$8bn bid from fellow Australian beverage group Lion Nathan, following opposition to the deal from The Coca-Cola Company....
Coca-Cola Great Britain has announced its intention to buy Waters & Robson Holdings, owner of the Abbey Well mineral water brand....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends