US: Griffin Group snaps up Anchor Brewing Company
Griffin adds Anchor Brewing to its portfolio in the US
Drinks investment firm The Griffin Group has acquired San Francisco's Anchor Brewing Company.
The purchase, announced yesterday (27 April), will see Griffin take over Anchor's brewery and distillery in the city. Financial details behind the transaction were not disclosed.
Anchor, which dates back to 1870, was acquired by Fritz Maytag in 1965. In 1993, the company also began distilling spirits and owns the Old Potrero whiskey and Junipero and Genevieve gin brands.
Griffin has subsequently created Anchor Brewers & Distillers, of which Maytag will be chairman emeritus.
Additional affiliated companies to be held under Anchor Brewers & Distillers include Preiss Imports, a US specialist spirits and beer importer, and BrewDog USA, the US division of the UK brewer.
Also based in San Francisco, Griffin owns, distributes and markets a portfolio of craft beers and artisan spirits.
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research