UK: Greene King remains on course, despite "challenging" market
Greene King has warned in a trading update that the rest of its fiscal year will prove "challenging".
The UK brewer and pub operator said today (1 February) that the 38 weeks to 20 January has seen the trading environment in the UK become "more challenging for the pub and beer industry". Managed pub like-for-like sales were flat at -0.1% in the period, while its tenanted and leased business in England and Wales produced profits up 0.2%.
On the brewing front, own-brewed volumes were up by 6.5%.
"We expect the rest of the year to remain challenging," Greene King said. "Nevertheless, the inherent strengths of our business, the resilience of our business model and the encouraging contributions from recent acquisitions give us confidence that our earnings expectations for the year to 4 May will be met."
PLB Group has expanded its marketing department with the appointment of two brand managers in the UK....
UK Brewer and pub operator Greene King saw its like-for-like beer sales drop nearly 3% in the off trade, an indication of the current pressure on brewers....
PLB Group has beefed up its beer division in a move aimed at upping its presence in the UK on- and off-trade....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China