UK: Greene King launches "English speciality" beer
UK regional brewer Greene King has launched what it claims to be the first bottled English speciality beer.
The company said it was giving the beer, called Hop, a "contemporary" positioning, targeting "discerning thirty-something, urban males" who looking to trade up from premium lagers.
The name Hop is designed to sum up the beer's "understated, stylish English image", the brewer said. Greene King points out that the different types of hops used in production give beers individual flavour characteristics just as different grape varieties do for wines.
Greene King has used Tettnang Hops, grown in Washington State and Oregon, in the production of Hop, giving it, the brewer said, "a distinctive pale, golden colour, and crisp, dry finish".
"We talked to our target drinkers on their thoughts about the category. Our findings show there was a lack of modern, stylish English beers on the market to compete with the continental ones," said Greene King marketing director Fiona Hope. "In a year where market analysts AC Nielsen reported no growth in wine sales for the first time ever, we believe speciality beer sales will grow even further, making now a perfect time to launch Hop."
Hop, which has an alcohol level of 5% abv, is packaged in a slender 750ml bottle with purple labelling, and will be available through Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury's.
The Indian spirits sector has undoubted growth potential, on the back of a growing economy, an expanding middle class and rising disposable income but international companies face many obstacles as th...
SUN InBev has announced a new campaign of social advertising to help tackle drunk driving in Russia....
Global drinks force Diageo is backing the "We Don't Serve Teens" campaign, aimed at reducing teen access to alcohol, as it rolls out in Arizona....
SABMiller has been forced to pull a television advert in the UK after a complainant suggested the ad would appeal to under 18-year-olds....
The ongoing Swedish government review into modernising the country's alcohol sales legislation has produced a proposal to permit Sweden's 1,000 co-operative and farm-run stores to sell alcohol on a re...
Coors Brewing Co. spent US$500,000 on lobbying the US government in the first half of this year, according to a recent filing....
US beer group Miller Brewing Company is collaborating with the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) in a new motorbike safety initiative called Keep Your Balance....
Systembolaget has posted a lift in sales for the first eight months of this year....
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Price drops would damage our DNA - Remy Cointreau
- Focus - Remy Cointreau's YTD Performance by Brand
- Maxxium UK head to depart for Edrington role
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Remy eases declines as China hints at recovery
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review